quade

Militia takes over Malheur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters

Hi Paul,
Yup, they bit off a good chunk on that move!!!! This could get nasty in a heartbeat!! As I have read in recollections past, Lexington/Concord Bridge had a similar beginning!! Story goes it was not discernible from which side,"The Shot heard around the World" was fired!! It does not matter anymore. We are up to our ass in alligators now and it's too late to try to drain the swamp!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

ryoder

That article was short on details of *why* the two were sentenced.
Here is the story: http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/eastern-oregon-ranchers-convicted-arson-resentenced-five-years-prison

So I'm trying to put the pieces together here. They were trying to do a controlled burn on property they leased for grazing? Then they told on them selves and got thrown in jail?

Makes sense. I remember a story I read a while back where a guy got fined for walking around with a bucket of asphalt fixing pot holes in the streets. Only the government is allowed to do that. Funny thing was the government wasn't.......:ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

jgoose71

***That article was short on details of *why* the two were sentenced.
Here is the story: http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/eastern-oregon-ranchers-convicted-arson-resentenced-five-years-prison

So I'm trying to put the pieces together here. They were trying to do a controlled burn on property they leased for grazing? Then they told on them selves and got thrown in jail?

Makes sense. I remember a story I read a while back where a guy got fined for walking around with a bucket of asphalt fixing pot holes in the streets. Only the government is allowed to do that. Funny thing was the government wasn't.......:ph34r:

What is ambiguous about this? How is this a "controlled fire"?

Witnesses at trial, including a relative of the Hammonds, testified the arson occurred shortly after Steven Hammond and his hunting party illegally slaughtered several deer on BLM property. Jurors were told that Steven Hammond handed out “Strike Anywhere” matches with instructions that they be lit and dropped on the ground because they were going to “light up the whole country on fire.”

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ryoder

That article was short on details of *why* the two were sentenced.

It has nothing to do with the 2 who were originally arrested. They've agreed to go back to jail peacefully and lawfully.
The other bunch of hillbillies have just jumped on that as an excuse to protest the animal refuge expanding...

I hope the government arrests them all and sticks them in jail for 20 years. Armed insurrection is not the way to protest something you don't like.

I think you have to be extremely creative to put the pieces together that way. Like, if it was a jigsaw puzzle you'd be needing a hammer creative.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

And it appears as if they're attempting to get more "militia" members from across the country to help them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/04/us/armed-group-vows-to-hold-federal-wildlife-office-in-oregon-for-years.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=image&module=photo-spot-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

These guys have seriously not thought this entire thing through very well.
quade -

quade

And it appears as if they're attempting to get more "militia" members from across the country to help them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/04/us/armed-group-vows-to-hold-federal-wildlife-office-in-oregon-for-years.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=image&module=photo-spot-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Funny, I just watched "A Walk in the Woods" today with Robert Redford. His wife asked if he had thought this through, to which Redford's character replied, "no, of course not."
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

Funny, I just watched "A Walk in the Woods" today with Robert Redford. His wife asked if he had thought this through, to which Redford's character replied, "no, of course not."

Well, if you are going to bring up Redford, then I'd say the best thing would be for the government to invite the Bundy clan to stay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcqFzVtEcNM:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi Paul,

Do they ever?

It would be interesting to see how many of them are Trump supporters.

:P

Jerry Baumchen

PS) In case anyone is wondering why I would make a Trump connection, it is because everything that I have read is that the majority of his support comes primarily from those with the lowest education levels.

If I were in charge of that situation I would simply ignore them. Give the people that work there some time off and wait for the nut jobs to leave. After they get tired of getting no attention they can be arrested at home.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

If I were in charge of that situation I would simply ignore them. Give the people that work there some time off and wait for the nut jobs to leave. After they get tired of getting no attention they can be arrested at home.

I think that's in the direction of a responsible response, but the government would need to do a bit more than that.

1. Block access in or out of the compound. Establish a "reasonable" perimeter around it; far enough that exchanges of long rifle fire becomes reasonably moot. 1km?
2. Cut electrical.
3. Cut telecommunications.

Let them have a great winter.
quade -

It would take a lot of resources to establish a 1km perimeter. The larger the area the more people needed. And of course it would be armed. The next thing you know you've got Ruby Ridge out there. Complete with news trucks and pressure to end the standoff.

Cutting off services and blocking cell signals is a great idea. But a blockade makes it a situation that must be resolved. Leave them alone and they get nothing but bored instead of the glory and attention they want.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Leave them alone and they get nothing but bored instead of the glory and attention they want.

That is an interesting idea.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Leave them alone and they get nothing but bored instead of the glory and attention they want.

That is an interesting idea.:D

I haven't really looked at this in depth, but it seems like they just want to be left alone...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

I haven't really looked at this in depth, but it seems like they just want to be left alone...

Doesn't seem like that to me. It seems like they traveled to Oregon to stick their noses into a battle where they were not wanted by either side.

What they want is attention.

From a CNN story:

"The Hammonds have been clear in that they don't want help from the Bundy group.

"Neither Ammon Bundy nor anyone within his group/organization speak for the Hammond family," the Hammonds' attorney W. Alan Schroeder wrote to Harney County Sheriff David Ward.

CNN law enforcement analyst Art Roderick, a retired U.S. marshal who investigated anti-government militias for years, warned that Bundy's call for supporters to join him might "turn into a bad situation."

"What's going to happen hopefully (is) ... we don't go out there with a big force, because that's what they're looking for," he said. "The last thing we need is some type of confrontation.""

gowlerk

Doesn't seem like that to me. It seems like they traveled to Oregon to stick their noses into a battle where they were not wanted by either side.

What they want is attention.

I think they are being subsidized by the left, to show the idiocy of some militias.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

As Mary said once about you -- stirring the pot, stirring the pot...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yes you are right! America is fully capable of containing the situation. I'm sure there are Federal Agencies just waiting to spring into action. I just thought maybe restraint could work better. On the other hand the Movement could use a few new martyrs. And CNN could use the ratings boost.

wmw999

As Mary said once about you -- stirring the pot, stirring the pot...

Wendy P.

I was just putting out there my first impression.

I saw the headline, and there was the thought.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun